The more prepared you are in advance, the faster and easier the resolution process will be. This divorce mediation checklist explains the information you will need to provide and the documents that you should gather before we begin.
Our resolution experts will walk you and your ex through the process of creating a separation agreement that can be filed with the courts to become legally binding. It will then form the basis of your divorce settlement. Canadian separation agreements must cover all of these elements:
The full legal name of each spouse
Date of separation
Children (If Applicable):
Primary custody determination
Access to children for noncustodial parent
Child support details
Whether spousal support will be paid
How much support, when payments will be made, and how long support will last
Criteria for ending spousal support early
Complete accounting of all property and who gets what
Homeownership (If Applicable):
Who will live in the house and who will pay the bills (mortgage, property tax, etc.)
If the house will be sold, how the proceeds will be divided between the spouses
Complete accounting of all debts and who is responsible for each payment
How debts incurred after separation but before divorce will be handled
Passive Income Streams:
How passive income streams accumulated during the marriage will be distributed
Who can make changes or transfers to each passive income stream
Naturally, you will need to prove all financial claims that are made in the separation agreement. Therefore, it is vital that you collect all relevant documents before beginning the resolution process. Here is the documentation that most couples need. If your finances are complex, you may need additional items as well.
- Tax returns
- Pay stubs and/or other proof of income
- Valuation for any business interests
- Property valuation for all real estate, vehicles, boats, trailers, or other tangible assets
- Balances and account details for all checking, savings, and other accounts
- Details for all retirement accounts, pensions, annuities, etc.
- Investment details, including any stock options
- Insurance information (life, health, automobile, business, etc.)
- Appraisals for all jewelry, antiques, art, coin collections, etc.
- Accounts receivable & unsecured notes
- Real estate and vehicle loan details
- Account numbers and balances for all credit cards and revolving credit
- Details for any other loans or debts
- Details for any sources of income, whether active or passive
Our proven, step by step resolution process can help even the most combative couples find a fair and equitable divorce agreement at a fraction of the cost of a court battle. However, to ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible, it is important to be prepared before we begin.
Fairway Divorce Solutions is Canada’s leading national divorce resolution company. With its prestigious panel of resolution experts (mediators and negotiators), Fairway specializes in settling issues using negotiation, mediation, financial, and legal skills to assist with simple to complex family disputes. If you are ready to get started with a caring and skilled team, please call your local office today to schedule a no-cost consultation.